For Families - Workshop series
We have designed a series of workshops to educate families who are actively going through the admissions process with EARLY STEPS. These events also allow families to meet others who are sharing a similar experience. Panel participants include school heads and admissions directors as well as experienced EARLY STEPS parents. Outside experts, including professionals of color, are engaged to offer specific assistance on a variety of topics. Family workshops explore topics such as:
- The application process and the role of EARLY STEPS in that process.
- The importance of learning about the various types of independent schools available to your child.
- How to choose the best school for your child.
- How to partner with your new school to be the best advocate for your child.
For Schools - Annual Membership Meeting
Held in May of each year, this meeting examines a pertinent topic in the diversity arena to assist school leaders to effectively address diversity issues in their schools. Past Annual Membership Meetings have focused on topics such as:
- 2011 - "“From Reflection to Action – Advice, Thoughts, Guidance… Where Do We Go From Here?” Faculty of color reflect on their experiences in independent schools
- 2010 - "A Peaceable Kingdom", presented by Sam Washington, Director of Multicultural Affairs and an Associate Dean of Admissions at the Lawrenceville School.
- 2009 - "How to Make the Invisible Visible: Tools for Pulling Back the Veil of Privilege", presented by Dr. Steven Jones, CEO of Jones & Associates Consulting, Inc.
- 2008 - “Examining and Dismantling Privilege and Inequality”, presented by Tim Wise, a prominent anti-racist activist and author.
- 2007 - “When Person of Color is one of the lenses through which you view the kindergarten application process”; a conversation between parents whose children will enter school this September.
- 2006 - “Mindgames: The Emotional Gymnastics of Being Black in Schooling Contexts”, presented by Howard C. Stevenson, PhD Associate Professor, Graduate School of Education, University of Pennsylvania.
- 2005 - “Conversations from the Heart” EARLY STEPS students reflect on their life’s experiences in independent schools.